Saturday, July 20, 2024

Saturday 20 July 2024 - Lincoln

The alarm woke me this morning. The room has air conditioning, so it was easy to sleep last night, even though the aircon did turn off some time during the night.

I eventually went down to breakfast just before 8am and apart from Rosanne not being there, there were the Backroads group plus leader & driver and about 5 other people. The place seem deserted. I just had toast, OJ, coffee & yogurt & fruit.  I left just on 8:30 and there must be a large tour group staying, as I think the majority of them decided to have breakfast at 8:30, so the breakfast room filled very quickly.

We left on your walking tour, crossed the road and were at the Lincoln Cathedral.  Apparently Lincoln is celebrating the 1940's this weekend, so there was a display of cars and a bus from that era, just outside the Castle walls.  Many of the locals were dressed appropriately for that era.  I was almost arrested by a bobby but he decided that he needed to arrest a man, so I was saved from that ordeal.  Lots of local stalls either selling their own wares or selling on behalf of a charity.

We all visited the Castle and viewed Lincolns' copy of the 1215 signed Magna Carta. There are only 4 original copies that survive. Two are kept in the British Library (one of which was badly damaged by fire in 1731), one in Salisbury cathedral, and one here in Lincoln castle.

Rosanne and I wanted to take the hop-on hop-off bus around Lincoln but had just missed one and didn't want to wait for another hour, so to fill in the time, we visited the Cathedral and as the admission price (Charlie had bought the tickets earlier and handed them out) included a walking tour within the Cathedral, we did that, to fill in the time.  By the time that the Cathedral tour was finished we managed to get on the next hop-on hop-off bus. We only did the one loop, which took just under an hour. There was a stop conveniently outside our hotel, so that gave us time to go to our rooms, freshen up and have time to go back to the Cathedral for the Choral Evensong at 5:30pm

The choir was magnificent and I wish that I had had my phone out, so I could have recorded some of the songs.  The service lasted just under an hour and we caught up with Jackie at the end of the service.  Back at the hotel there was a wedding reception going on. I think the whole show started this morning and has been going on all day.  Anyway, Duncan came down and the 4 of us decided to have dinner in the hotel, so one of the tables in the bar area was set for 4 for dinner.  Then Michelle our tour driver arrived, so we had another seat set and the 5 of us ate dinner.  The local staff were fantastic.  We had a lovely meal. I had a Salmon starter and a 3 ice cream dessert. Rosanne & Michelle opted for the Lamb main, Jackie only wanted the 3 ice cream dessert and Duncan had the Salmon starter and I can't remember what else.  Great company and great discussions.

Back in my room around 9pm and will pack, ready for our departure tomorrow on our way to Cambridge.  Breakfast from 7:30, bag out by 8am and we depart at 9am.

That's it from me for today.  Photos posted on Flickr.  Night all and only 5,8956 steps today.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thursday 25th - Singapore

Despite our flight out of London being delayed and being an hour late we arrived in Singapore 20 minutes ahead of the original arrival time....