Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Tuesday 23 July 2024 - Cambridge - Newmarket - London

 Woke at 5:30, turned over and went back to sleep until the alarm woke me. Packed everything up and went down to breakfast around 7:45.  Just had juice & toast as I'm not especially hungry this morning.  The suitcase is being collect around 8:30.

We departed Cambridge just before 9:30am and our first stop was at the Newmarket Stud Farm.  Its a huge establishment with many houses for the workers, a couple of race tracks that are used at different times of the year.  I think our informant said that there is over 500 acres in the property.  The way they test the mares to see if they are fertile and which ovary is the better one for conception etc.  was Interesting to hear about.  We saw a few of the stallions being taken from their boxes to the paddocks. Some more feisty than others, though this isn't the main stud season.

We departed there around 11:15.  Had our lunch stop at a large Service Stop and got away from there around 12:40 ish.

Charlie (tour leader) & Michelle (our driver) had worked out where we were all staying and decided to drop us off at our hotels, etc, instead of the usual drop off place. Being only 6 of us on the tour, made that an easier decision for them and I know that I was very happy with their decision. Nothing like door to door service.  If any of my friends haven't done a "Back Roads Tour" before, have a look at them. Max of about 18 people and you do take the back roads.  My tour was fabulous and thankfully we 6 all got on well together.  

After being dropped off at my hotel and checked in, I went for a walk. Up the road, around the corner, over the Tower Bridge and back again.  Back to my room to sort the luggage for tomorrow and then had an early dinner at the hotel's restaurant. I have managed to pay cash for everything until our visit to 

Back to my room to update the Blog and download some photos on Flickr AND work out what I'll do tomorrow morning, before I have to check out at 10am.

I might do an update before checking out tomorrow BUT it most likely won't happen until I'm back in Canberra.

Night all.  Not many steps today. Only 6,319

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thursday 25th - Singapore

Despite our flight out of London being delayed and being an hour late we arrived in Singapore 20 minutes ahead of the original arrival time....