Thursday, July 25, 2024

Wednesday 24th July 2024 - on the way back to Australia

 I woke once during the night, because I hadn't put the phone on silent and someone who I don't know phoned and didn't leave a message.  I finally got up around 7.  I opted not to have breakfast included at this hotel, as it would have been a tad to expensive, so shortly before 8am, I went for a walk.

There is still a huge amount of new buildings going up along the river.  I was heading to Southwark Cathedral, as I wanted a photo of it.



This was taken from a side entrance. I never did find the front of the cathedral, as it was blocked off because of some other building work.

After that I wandered back to the hotel.  It was lovely and cool when I first went out this morning but it soon heated up.  I'll be checking out at 11am but will have the luggage stored at the hotel, until I'm picked up this afternoon and taken to the airport.  Might post something later.

I was picked up at 3;30, even though the driver had asked if I could be ready by 3:15, which I was BUT I was waiting at what I knew to be the main door to reception but apparently there was another door near where the concierge is located and that’s where the driver was waiting. Why she didn’t phone me when I wasn’t there, I have no idea.  I phoned her when she hadn’t shown up by 3:30 and thats when I found out about the other entry.  DUH.

The traffic out of London was slow to standstill. It took an hour and 45 minutes to get to Heathrow T5.

Then the check in. You have to scan your passport, enter your flight # and your boarding passes are spat out. I think it was there that I lost my flight itinerary list. As I had my boarding passes, I wasn’t concerned. Time was running out. Now that I had my boarding pass, I could then check my luggage. Some woman sent me to a self check-in gate. When the guy there saw my flight time, he sent me to a desk where a person did all the paperwork and not me. After that it was through security, which was okay this time. I took everything out and remembered my pedometer this time. Every thing went through without a hitch. 

Went to the lounge but didn’t eat anything as I knew that a meal will be served on the plane shortly after takeoff. I was expecting the gate to be shown on the board but instead there was a notification that the flight was delayed half an hour.

Once the gate was announced there was the walk to the elevators that took us down to the train as the gates were at another part of T5, a short train ride away. I can remember landed at a similar gate a few years back and we walked for about 20 minutes to get to the terminal proper. I certainly got my exercise after that long haul flight. I think I’ve walked about 15,000 steps today but not 100% sure. Will check that when I get to Singapore. Original flight was due for departure at 19:35. Then it was delayed until 20;05.

Pushback started at 20:10 and we finally lifted off at 8:30 pm.

This it for today






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thursday 25th - Singapore

Despite our flight out of London being delayed and being an hour late we arrived in Singapore 20 minutes ahead of the original arrival time....